It’s orange season and we take it seriously here in Florida. Ok, not THAT seriously but we certainly had some fun picking oranges over the weekend. We picked Navel oranges, Honeybells (also oranges that are sweet like candy!) and Meyer lemons. That was about all we could handle carrying.
And now that we have pounds and pounds of oranges. What should we make with them besides orange juice? All sorts of stuff – you could make a Baked Tilapia in an Asian Orange Sauce or Sesame Orange Chicken or Orange Maple Glazed Salmon or Garden Veggie Pasta with Cilantro Pesto or even a sweet treat – Orange Shortbread.
Today though, I decided to make a Citrus Roasted Chicken dish for dinner. It’s sooooo orangey and delicious and the sauce is *chef’s kiss*! It only takes about a half hour to make and uses lots of easy, pantry items you probably already have in your kitchen. It’s a one-pan kinda dish, which is obviously my favorite and it’s a great way to add flavor without that many calories.
When my kids are struggling with flavors and things to eat, a squeeze of orange on anything will get them to eat it, especially this chicken! Definitely give this one a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Citrus Roasted Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- Juice from 1 large orange + orange wedges for serving
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to clean plate.
- Add scallions, garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, soy sauce, orange and lemon juice and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until it comes to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, and transfer to the oven. Roast until fully cooked – 165 degrees, about 15 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a clean plate. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a summer. Whisk cornstarch and water in a small bowl; then slowly whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute.
Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve with orange slices. Enjoy!