We went orange picking a few weekends ago (more details on that here) and we still have so so SO many oranges left to use up. So today’s lunch, snack, dinner, snack (haha jk jk)… just dinner… is this oh so yummy salad with crunch, zestiness, citrus delight and sweetness.
Salads are so easy to make and they come together so quickly that they make the perfect lunches and dinners. This one is no exception! It has just the right amount of crunch, a perfect amount of sweet and a dressing that ties it all together. This is jam packed full of veg and fruit so you’ll definitely be getting a big dose of all those healthy vitamins. Oh, and did I mention it’s so yummy?!?
And by yummy I mean my 5 ear old even ate it!! I was shocked (!!!) when she ate this salad (Mattie still wants nothing to do with leafy greens, but I’ll change her ways)! She loved the crunch and kept nibbling on it. Just goes to show that when you keep offering the foods and you eat it with them, they really will try and maybe even like new foods!
Let me know what you serve this salad with in the comments below! I’d love to know. 🙂
Cabbage Salad with Orange, Cranberries, and Walnuts
- 4 oranges, cut into supreme (2 packed cups)
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped and divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Supreme the oranges to remove bitter pith and membranes: using a small, sharp knife, slice off fruit ends, and stand an orange on one flat end on cutting board. Working in sections around the fruit, slice off all peel and pith. You will be able to see the membranes that separate each segment. Tip the orange on its side, and slice each segment free from the membranes on either side.
- In a salad bowl, combine orange supremes, cabbage, cranberries, and shallots. Add half of the walnuts and parsley, reserving the other half to garnish salad. Mix salad well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons water. Pour dressing over salad and toss well.
- Serve garnished with reserved parsley and walnuts. Enjoy!