I love Spring and Summer. Yes, the weather is amazing. But more importantly, rhubarb is in full bloom. And, my favorite pie of all time to make with it is a strawberry rhubarb pie! I love the combination of these two fruits (as evident by my strawberry rhubarb squares or this Rhubarb Custard Cake that highlights how good rhubarb can be).
Some people think rhubarb is a fruit because it’s so often used in cakes. But, it’s actually a fruit. Rhubarb on its own looks like red and green celery but when stewed or baked with a little bit of sugar, its natural sweetness pops.
My parents were coming over for dinner yesterday, so I wanted to make something for them to enjoy afterwards. And this quick (15-minute prepped!) crumble did the trick. It was a group favorite!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, strawberries, and rhubarb together.
- Place the mixture in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Mix 1 cup flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats until crumbly. Crumble on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and lightly browned. Enjoy!