Strawberry rhubarb pie is my absolute favorite pie of all time. The butter and sugar topping make the BEST crumble. But, it’s not always so good for my waistline. So this recipe is the best of both worlds – it tastes like my favorite pie, but uses dates, strawberries, and honey for the added sweetness. Enjoy!
- 8 pitted dates
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1.5 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- Zest of one lemon
- Heat oven to 350°. Prep an 8×8 pan with cooking spray.
- Soak dates for 5-10 minutes in hot water and drain.
- Pulse dates, oats, salt, cinnamon and vanilla in a food processor. Add almond meal and pulse to combine. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- Add coconut oil to date mixture and mix together. Set aside 1/2 cup and press the rest into bottom of baking pan.
- Combine cornstarch with 2 tsp water; stir to dissolve.
- Puree strawberries and rhubarb; transfer to a saucepan, stir in honey and lemon zest and bring to a boil. Stir 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool.
- Pour fruit over crust; sprinkle with reserved mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes; cool and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from self.com