We always have an abundance of bananas in our house, so I tend to freeze them as soon as they start to brown. I love it because they get a second life as my foolproof banana bread or veggie packed muffin or one of the many other muffins I tend to stock our freezer with.
These are no exception! I decided to make these gluten free using almond flour instead of my typical whole wheat flour because I actually like the taste of almond flour more. I also added a touch of sugar, but if you want these to be totally sugar free, just leave it out. And, if you have a kid who doesn’t like chocolate chips, well, cheers to you. 🙂
Gluten Free Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/8 cup sugar, any kind
- 1/3 cup milk, any kind
- 1/3 cup oil, any kind
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup oats (any kind, except instant)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mini chocolate chips, optional to top with
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together bananas, eggs, sugar, milk, oil, flax and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Pour wet banana mixture into dry oat mixture and stir until just combined (don’t over mix).
- Spoon batter evenly into 12-muffin tins (each muffin will be nearly full) and top with mini chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool slightly in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Enjoy immediately or freeze!