Don’t tell my Gram this, but Mark Bittman has the best banana bread recipe. He used to write recipes for the NYTimes and I love every single one of them. He really understood how to combine flavors in just the right way but also always kept it simple. This is his banana bread recipe that I go back to every single time. You can’t mess this up – just mix, pour, and bake and it will be perfect every single time.
Fool-Proof Banana Bread
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. With a hand mixer, a whisk, or in the food processor, cream the butter and beat in the eggs and bananas. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients; stir just enough to combine (it’s okay if there are lumps). Gently stir in the vanilla, walnuts, and coconut.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 – 55 minutes, until nicely browned. A toothpick inserted into the center of the bread will come out fairly clean when it is done, but because of the bananas this bread will remain moister than most. Do not overcook.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Enjoy!