Don’t tell my Gram this, but Mark Bittman has the best banana bread recipe. He used to write recipes for the NYTimes and I love every single one of them. He really understood how to combine flavors in just the right way but also always kept it simple. This is his banana bread recipe that I go back to every single time. You can’t mess this up – just mix, pour, and bake and it will be perfect every single time.
Fool-Proof Banana Bread
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. With a hand mixer cream the butter and beat in the eggs and bananas. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients; stir just enough to combine (it’s okay if there are lumps). Gently stir in the vanilla, walnuts, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 – 55 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Enjoy!
Recipe from: cooking.nytimes.com
Photos updated July 2020