Halloween is coming and we have lots of super easy ways to celebrate! From assembling healthy, spooky treats to mulling a spiked cider, we have you covered this Halloween. Take a look below for some ideas and let us know what your favorite treat is. Happy Halloween!
Ghost cheese sticks: using a permanent black market, draw two eyes and a mouth on the wrapper of a cheese stick. Instant ghost!
Jack o’lantern Mandarin orange cups: using a permanent black market, draw two triangle eyes, a triangle nose and a jack o’lantern mouth on the wrapper. Instant jack o’lantern!
Spooky-eye popcorn: stuff plastic bags with popcorn and glue two googly eyes to the front. Instant spooky-eye popcorn!
Ghost bananas: using a firm banana, slice the banana in half. Stick 2 mini chocolate chips in the banana for the eyes and 1 for the mouth. Instant ghost!
Clementine pumpkins: peel a clementine making sure to keep the pieces intact. Stick a Rolo in for the stem and a green M&M for the leaf. Alternatively, you can use celery for the stem and leaf for a candy-free version. A healthy pumpkin!
Witches Broomsticks: slice a cheese stick in half and slice the ends half way up with a paring knife. On the intact side, stick a long skinny pretzel in. A witches broomstick!
Carrot Eyeballs: Peel and slice a large carrot into 1/2 inch slices. Top with edible eyes (in the baking section of most supermarkets) or a dollop of cream cheese and a olive to make the eye. Spooky Eyes!
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Red & yellow food coloring
- Green M&M’s
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted and combined with the butter. Remove from the heat. Add several drops of yellow food coloring, mix it together, then add red food coloring one drop at a time, mixing as you go. Add red/yellow drops until you reach your desired color. (I used about 4 drops red and 12 drops yellow). Mix well. Add the Rice Krispies and stir to combine. Coat both sides of your hands with a generous amount of cooking spray, and roll the Rice Krispie mixture into small balls. Set on parchment paper. Add spray to your hands after each ball. While the balls are still warm, gently press a Rolo into the top of each pumpkin for the stem and add a green M&M beside it as the leaf. Allow to cool until firm.
Spider Deviled Eggs
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper
- whole black olives
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Slip out yolks and mash. Stir in mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cut whole olive in half lengthwise. Put one half on mashed yolk for the spider’s body. Thinly slice the other half of the olive for the spiders legs. Put 3 or 4 legs on each side.
Mulled Spiked Apple Cider
- 1 gallon fresh cider
- 1 medium orange
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 5 star anise pods
- 1/12 cups rum
- orange slices, for serving
- Pour the cider into a 6-quart slow cooker. Cut the orange into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Cut the ginger into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add both to the slow cooker. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the flavors meld, 4 hours on low. Add the rum and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld. Keep warm and serve in mugs garnished with orange slices and/or cinnamon sticks.