The girls have recently gone off bananas – why? No clue… kids, right? Well, we now have so many leftover bananas, so I keep freezing them and when the freezer gets too full, I take them out make something with them. Usually banana bread, but not always! I really have been trying to make other sweet recipes and even some savory recipes recently and this cookie recipe is another new one.
It’s a basic chocolate chip cookie but with a brown banana mixed in to give it a softer texture and naturally sweeter taste. It’s another amazingly easy recipe to make and it’s so so tasty.
How do you use up all of your brown bananas? Let me know in the comments below! Happy baking!
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 overripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and mashed banana. Mix to combine. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir until combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Last, fold in the chocolate chips. Set aside to let the flour hydrate in the dough while the oven preheats.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the oven is preheated use a cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop out about 1 inch dough balls, rolling them into balls in your hands. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 – 11 minutes or until the edges are set and the cookies have puffed up, but the middles are still underbaked.
- Allow to cool before eating and enjoy!