Happy New Year! It’s that time of the year where the holidays are now over and I’m trying to clean out the fridge from holiday food to balance it with some healthier options. Anyone else tired of holiday food?! Samesies!
Ok, back tot he recipe – so last night, I made these AMAZING Lobster Tails. I added some roasted potatoes and this carrot slaw to freshen it all up. The citrusy vinaigrette added to the slaw making it the perfect side dish for the lobster.
It’s fresh and crunchy with some earthiness from the cranberries and walnuts. It comes together quickly and it can definitely be made ahead of time. This is definitely a keeper and will be coming with me for all sorts of dinners in the new year!
Cheers to the start of 2022 and hope you all have a great New Year!
Carrot Slaw with Cranberries, Toasted Walnuts & Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound carrots, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Set oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place walnuts on baking sheet and bake until toasted and fragrant, 7-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt, pepper, honey or more citrus. Toss in walnuts and serve. Enjoy!