Trevor and I did a low-carb January, like we do every year. Sometimes, we keep it up further into the year with some of our favorite dishes, like this Mexican Chicken dish. It’s protein packed, full of veg and so super easy to make. It’s all made in one pan so clean-up is a cinch. And it tastes absolutely amazing.
Tell me, what’s your favorite low-carb dish? I’d love to know!
Mexican Chicken, Sweet Potato & Black Bean Skillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, par-cooked* and diced
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
In a small bowl combine all of the spices. When the skillet is hot add in the chicken and spread into an even layer, then sprinkle with half of the spice blend.
- Lower the heat to medium and add in the remaining spice blend, sweet potato, black beans, green chiles and salsa. Stir together and cook until the mixture is heated through, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve. Enjoy!