Last night, I was playing around with making some new kids recipes with quinoa. So, I made a LOT of quinoa. Problem is, I never ended up using it all, so I was left with a big tub of it, cooked.
So, I decided to make a big casserole with it for dinner tonight. A casserole is great because it’s one of those dishes you can just dump a bunch of stuff into and it makes a meal! Just add a protein, a carb, some veggies and cheese and it’s the perfect one pot meal.
This casserole is great, too, because it helps you use that ground turkey (or chicken or beef!) that you might otherwise not have known what to do with. It’s everything you need in one spoonful and the best part is it’s super easy to make!
The next time you have a ton of leftovers in the fridge and don’t know what to do with it all, try this casserole. You’ll just love it!
Cheesy Zucchini & Turkey Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchinis, diced
- 1 small box mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil and ground turkey. Cook until meat begins to brown. Add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes until onions begin to soften and garlic is fragrant.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook 3-4 more minutes until veggies begins to soften.
- Add quinoa, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper, basil and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9X13 baking dish coated in cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Slightly adapted from: betsylife.com