We’ve been having some funny cravings around here, including today’s – egg rolls. Now, Florida has some great food options, but I’ve yet to find a good egg roll. Couple that with not actually wanting to eat the fried wrappers and you’ll see why I made “Egg Roll in a Bowl” for dinner tonight.
It has all the yummy flavors of an egg roll, but with way fewer calories and more veggies. It also has some ground turkey mixed in which helps the kids with their protein intake.
This is the best recipe because it really does taste like the inside of an egg roll. It has crunch, saltiness, sweetness, heat… it’s seriously the best!
I served this over a bowl of half rice/half cauliflower rice. You can’t taste or see the cauliflower rice, so why not try, right?!
Let me know what veggies you end up adding to yours in the comments below! ❤
Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg Roll Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Kosher alt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 small yellow onion, shredded
- 1/2 a head of green cabbage, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup zucchini, shredded
Sriracha Mayo Sipping Sauce:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together the soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the canola oil, ground turkey, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until the ground turkey is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes, breaking it up as you cook.
- Add the onion, cabbage and carrots to the skillet and continue to stir and cook until the cabbage is wilted.
- Add in the zucchini and the Egg Roll Sauce. Stir for another 1-2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve with sriracha mayo (to make sriracha mayo: whisk together the mayo, sriracha, and lime juice until smooth). Enjoy!
Adapted from: chelseasmessyapron.com