It’s that time in the week when I start to have lots of bits in the fridge from leftover meals, but not enough to make another full meal out of them. So, I usually make tacos, fajitas or wraps with what I have left.
But today, I decided to make quesadillas. Amelia was rereading some of her older Highlights magazines and saw them as one of the recipes in the back. She insisted on them tonight, so here we are! Quesadillas for dinner!
That said, I like to ‘health-ify’ my dinners as much as I can, so I loaded these up with beans, shredded chicken, and veggies and the girls gobbled them up. And I mean gobbled! They were gone in less than 5 minutes!! For reference, dinners here usually take 60-90 minutes…. so this was a major surprise for everyone! Even more surprising? They asked for seconds!!
Phew. Winner winner… chicken quesadilla dinner! Let me know what you put in your in the comments below!
- One 8-inch tortilla
- 1/4 cup hummus
- Fillings: rice, cauliflower rice, smashed black beans, tomatoes, avocado, corn, shredded cheddar cheese, pulled chicken (if not vegetarian), etc…
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Optional, for serving: additional hummus, yogurt, hot sauce, pesto, etc…
- Spread hummus generously over tortilla(s).
- Lightly cover one-half of the tortilla(s) with fillings of your choice.
- Fold the blank half over to create a half-moon shape. Repeat for additional quesadillas. Warm a medium skillet over medium heat. Place the folded quesadilla(s) in the pan. Let the bottom sides warm up for a minute or two, then carefully flip. Brush the warm sides lightly with olive oil and let them cook in the pan for another minute or two. Carefully flip once again, brush the new top side lightly with olive oil, and cook until the bottom is lightly golden and crisp. Carefully flip and cook until that side is lightly golden and crisp.
- Transfer the quesadilla(s) to a cutting board and let them rest for a couple of minutes. Then, use a sharp chef’s knife or pizza cutter to slice each quesadilla into wedges. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Adapted from: cookieandkate.com