With Trevor and I eating healthier in January, I wanted to find a muffin recipe that didn’t have any processed sugar in it. I’m trying to limit the sugar intake of the kids pot holidays since they had too much! Anyone else?!?
Of course, I found an amazing one by Half Baked Harvest! It uses honey and bananas as the natural sweeteners. And while I used ap flour, you could easily use any other kind of flour in these too. The only thing I changed from her recipe was I used mace instead of all-spice because that’s what I had on hand.
These are absolutely delicious. Make them! you won’t be sorry!
HBH One Bowl Chocolate Chunk Chai Banana Muffins
- 4 medium overly ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cup mashed)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, coconut oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, mace, and salt, mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe from: halfbakedharvest.com