Last January, I started a Whole30 journey that never fully ended. While I reintroduced non-whole30 compliant foods back into my diet after a few months, I’m no where near as grain and processed sugar based today as I was back then. It just feels good to eat more wholesome, ya know?
So tonight, I made a curry that reflects how I eat a lot more these days and I absolutely love it. It’s creamy, hearty and oh so filling in that veggie packed kinda way. I served mine with quinoa, but you could easily have this with some naan bread or rice or just as a side dish to some deliciously roasted chicken. How would you serve this for dinner tonight? Lemme know in the comments below!
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 extra-large sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- One 13-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, basil or parsley, finely chopped for garnishing
- In a large skillet, add coconut oil and onion, and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion begins to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- Add the sweet potato and stir to combine with the onions. Add the curry, broth, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow mixture to gently boil for about 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are mostly tender; they don’t have to be completely cooked through yet.
- Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, turn the heat to medium-high, and cook uncovered for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until liquid volume has reduced as much as desired and thickens slightly.
- Evenly sprinkle with the cilantro/basil/parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!