During the school year, I make soups once a week. They make so many extra meals and freeze so well.
Fast forward to summer, and I don’t want to eat a hot bowl of soup that often. There’s one exception – when I can use fresh summer veggies, like corn and zucchini. Jersey corn is absolutely the best. It’s naturally sweet and pops when you bite into it.The same goes for zucchini. They’re normally big and plump this time of year!
So today, while I want to make a soup, I’m refusing to turn on my stove. That’s why the Instant Pot is the best! It makes a hot pot of soup without heating up the kitchen and it makes it fast! I’m going to make this for dinner and save the rest in the freezer for lunches next week.
Definitely give this one a try and let me know what you think!
Instant-Pot Corn & Zucchini Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped small
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. turkey bacon, diced
- 1 large leak, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kernels from 3 ears of corn, cobs reserved
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups water
- 4 red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a 6 quart Instant Pot, select sauté and warm the oil. Add the zucchini, celery, green onions and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini and celery are tender, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the zucchini mixture to a bowl.
- Add the turkey bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the turkey bacon to a plate.
- Add the leaks to the pot and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the corncobs, thyme and water. Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to Sealing. Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. Manually release the steam, then discard corncobs.
- Add the potatoes, corn kernels and half of the bacon and season with salt and pepper. Lock the lid, seal and cook on Manual/Pressure Cook for another 4 minutes at high pressure.
- Manually release the steam, stir in the cream, milk and zucchini mixture, and heat until hot.
- Ladle into individual bowls, garnish with the chives and remaining bacon, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!