Flag cakes are pretty standard on July 4th picnic tables. Sometimes, you even see them on Memorial and Labor Day, but someone always makes them for July 4th.
The problem with them is that they are always full of sugar and lots of full fat cheese. I wanted to lighten them up a bit this year so when my kids ate it, I didn’t feel that guilty about it.
So, I substituted yogurt in, reduced the sugar added in some nuts and included lots of berries. This was definitely a win!
No-Bake Berry Flag Cake
- 7 ounces graham crackers, broken into large pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups raspberries
- 1¼ cups blueberries and/or blackberries
- Pulse graham crackers, pecans and salt in a food processor until finely ground. With the motor running, drizzle in oil, then pulse to combine. Press into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. To serve, arrange berries in a flag pattern on top of the cake and cut into 16 squares. Enjoy!
Recipe from: eatingwell.com