Today, I was at my friend Su’s house and she made lunch for everyone. If you’ve followed along with me over the past year, you know Su makes the BEST spring rolls. I was lucky enough to have them again today and felt so inspired by lunch, that I made a dinner with many of the same flavors – cucumber, carrots, mango, pineapple, lime, shrimp and rice noodles. Yum!
I’m no good at making wraps though, and I’ll be the first to admit it. So instead of the wraps, I made this into a summer bowl. Rice or rice noodles work equally well and it’s such a light and healthy summer dinner. It’s my kind of hot weather dinner!
Summer Rice Bowl
- 1 cup cooked rice or vermicelli noodles
- 1 pound (10 to 15 count) shrimp, cleaned and deveined, tails attached
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (plus more for serving, if desired)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or sweet chili sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3/4 cup carrots, julienned
- 3/4 cup mango, sliced
- 3/4 cup pineapple, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup cucumber, julienned
- Fresh cilantro, mint and basil leaves, for garnish
- In a rice cooker or instant pot, prepare rice according to package directions or if using vermicelli noodles, cook according to package, and set aside to cool.
- Toss the shrimp with 2 tablespoons olive oil, Sriracha (or sweet chili sauce) and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of oil. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the shrimp in a single layer and let cook, without moving, until the bottom sides are pink and the shrimp begin to curl, about 2 minutes. Flip each shrimp and allow to cook until barely cooked through, another 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Divide the rice or noodles among 4 bowls. Top with shrimp, carrot, mango, pineapple and cucumbers. Drizzle with more olive oil, if desired. Garnish with the herbs and serve. Enjoy!