A few months ago, my friend Su made me some spring rolls from scratch and they blew me away! They were so amazingly good and I was instantly intimated by them, excited by them and determined to learn how to make them.
I have to say though, the actual process of making them isn’t as hard as I thought they’d be. What’s hard is getting the right ratio of filling to rice paper. I’m no expert rice paper folder by any means, but now that I know how to make them, I’ll be doing it a lot more often!
Oh, and definitely make the sauce. It takes them over the top!
Mango Veggie Spring Rolls
Mango Dipping Sauce:
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted + thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh vegetables (ie., cucumbers, carrots and bell peppers), cut into matchsticks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A big handful of both fresh cilantro and mint
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- Chopped peanuts for topping (optional)
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients except the cilantro in a blender. Blend until smooth, add the cilantro and pulse until chopped. Pour into a bowl, cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Squeeze a little lime juice over the sliced avocado.
- Create an assembly line of vegetables, so that they are all ready to go.
- Fill a shallow dish with warm-hot water (you should be able to stick your hand in the water with it being quite hot). Add each rice paper sheet, one at a time, for 5 to 10 seconds. Remove and place on a flat surface. Towards one end of the rice wrapper, begin layering with 1-2 slices of avocado, and small handfuls of fresh cilantro + mint, and a handful of veggies. Sprinkle the veggies with salt and pepper. Fold both ends to the center and roll the sheet as tightly as you can without ripping.
- Place each prepared spring roll on a serving platter and cover with foil to keep the spring rolls from drying out. Continue with remaining ingredients, adding them to the platter as you work. Keep the spring rolls covered with foil at all times.
- Serve the spring rolls with the mango dipping sauce and chopped peanuts (if desired). Enjoy!
Slightly adapted from: halfbakedharvest.com and my friend Su