Strawberries are in abundance this time of year. They’re extra red, plump and super sweet. They’re almost candy-like, which makes them the perfect summertime fruit.
With Memorial Day coming up this weekend, I wanted to use strawberries to make something extra festive. This strawberry galette is one of those desserts that’s great to take to a party because it feeds a crowd with minimal work on your end.
You can also add any berry to this (try strawberries, raspberries and blueberries for a real red and blue festive treat)! It’s a very versatile galette that tastes great and can be whipped up any night of the week.
I made these today with Amelia and had some extra pastry, so she made two mini galettes of her own. I think she did a pretty good job too!
- 1 homemade or store bought pie crust
- 6 cups of strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (add a little more if strawberries aren’t in season)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, lemon zest & juice, sugar, flour. Allow it to rest for about 10 minutes or until the berries begin to macerate and the flour & sugar are absorbed.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 12 inch circle and transfer to lined baking sheet. Using a slotted spoon, add the berries to the center of the circle leaving a 3-inch boarder. Fold the edges of the dough up and over the berries.
- Brush the edges with an egg wash using 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 25-30 minutes or until berries are bubbling and crust is golden. Let galette cool completely before cutting into. Enjoy!