This year, Cinco de Mayo falls on a Sunday. What better way to celebrate than with super easy sheet pan nachos! They’re easy to feed a crowd and require very little work.
You can also use any toppings you like – I used a mix of veg, herbs and yogurt. I bet even avocado and pickled red onions would be really good on here.
I actually made these tonight instead of on Sunday because Amelia was craving food and after a few days of her not eating well, I wanted to make sure she had a good solid dinner. These were the perfect quick weeknight dinner. I threw on some of that leftover instant pot bbq chicken I made the other day, and she had really filling and healthy meal!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Spicy Black Beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 10-oz can black beans (drained, but not rinsed)
- 15-oz can petite diced tomatoes with green chiles (not drained or rinsed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili seasoning
- 8 oz sturdy corn tortilla chips
- 4 oz Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream or full-fat yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add olive oil and onion to a large skillet and sauté over medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Drain, but do not rinse the black beans, allowing some of the starchy liquid to remain coating the beans. Add the beans and diced tomatoes with chiles (not drained) to the skillet, along with the chili seasoning. Stir and simmer the mixture until it thickens and liquid no longer pools on the bottom of the skillet (about 10 minutes).
- Line a baking sheet with silpat, parchment paper or foil. Spread a layer of tortilla chips over the baking sheet in a single layer, trying not to overlap the chips. Spoon about half of the black bean mixture over the chips, then sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over top. Repeat with one more layer of chips, black beans, and cheese.
- Remove the nachos from the oven and add a drizzle or dollop of sour cream or yogurt over top. Sprinkle the diced tomato, sliced jalapeño, red onion and chopped cilantro over top. Enjoy immediately!