There’s a little sandwich shop down the road from us called Mr. Wraps that we adore for quick weekend lunches. Trevor’s favorite sandwich from there is the BBQ chicken wrap. It’s jam packed with bbq chicken and rice. He was craving it this weekend, but we didn’t have a chance to get it.
So, I promised him I’d make something similar this week that we could all eat together. I’m not the biggest rice fan, so I made this into a burrito rather than a wrap and stuffed mine full of other yummy foods – Mexican cheese blend, cilantro, tomatoes, and some yogurt. He had chicken, cheese and rice, of course. And the girls ate a deconstructed version of both of ours. It was amazing because we all got what we wanted out of one core meal – bbq chicken!
I can’t tell you how excited I am by this Instant Pot because having pulled bbq chicken done in 10 minutes is a game changer to my weekly cooking. Oh, and it really cuts down on the pots and pans I have to wash, too. Win-win!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream or yogurt, avocado slices, shredded lettuce rice, and/or chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Add olive oil to inner pot of Instant Pot, and place chicken in pot. Add water, and sprinkle sea salt, garlic powder and pepper over chicken, then pour BBQ sauce over chicken. Do not stir!
- Place lid on pot, turn vent to SEALING position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes (about 5 minutes) to pressurize, and chicken will cook for 10 minutes.
- After pot beeps, allow a 10 minute natural release, then do a quick release to release remaining pressure. When pin drops, remove lid, and use hand mixer or two forks to shred chicken.
- Return chicken to pot to absorb some of the juices for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from juices and set aside.
- To prepare the burrito, layer cheese, chicken and any other toppings you like in the burrito. Roll it up tightly and place in a well oiled warmed skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side, or until just browned. Repeat with remaining burritos.
- Remove from heat, cut open and enjoy!