One of my most vivid memories is of my Grandmother (and then my Dad) making matzo brei for the family every year on Passover. My brother and I BEGGED them to make it each year because it was our favorite breakfast. Since Matzo is hard to find most of the year, it’s really only a special treat on Passover.
Making it, however, I’ve realized is a little tricky. Here’s a tip straight from my Dad: “I remember Gram imploring me to be sure the matzo is soaked even if I have to squeeze excess liquid out rather than having dry matzo. My tendency is to use less water and let the egg soak into the matzo, but it still needs to be very soft.” I’ve come to realize this is a unique technique because most people scramble the eggs into the matzo after they fry it. But then you just end up with fried scrambled eggs on top of matzo. This way, it’s more of a french toast type of approach.
Now, you’ll notice there aren’t exact measurements for the water or salt – that’s because you have to eyeball the softness of the matzo. It also depends on the kind of matzo you use. My suggestion is start with a few tablespoons and work up from there. It should be soft, not mushy when it’s right.
Trust me when I say this is the best way to make it! I hope you like it as much as I do!
- 2 1/2 matzos, per person
- 1 egg, per person
- Vanilla extract
- Canola oil, to grease pan
- Maple syrup or honey
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Beat the egg until it foams slightly. Add a dash of salt and set aside.
- Break the matzo into small pieces and place in large bowl. Add some boiled water to the matzo in small amounts until it is thoroughly absorbed. Drain out any excess.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the matzo. Mix thoroughly, making sure all pieces get coated with egg.
- Put a teaspoon of water into a large frying pan. When the water sizzles, add the oil. Add the matzo mixture. Stir to scramble and cook thoroughly. Remove from heat when pieces are brown and firm, but not too dry.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with warm maple syrup. Enjoy immediately!