This past summer, we were down the Jersey shore and went to the boardwalk where they had the best sausage and peppers sandwich. Ever! The bun had just the right amount of butter, the sausage had the perfect snap and the onions and peppers basically melted in your mouth. I still dream of it on cold days. So now that the weather has turned and is staying cool, I’m dreaming of hot summer days where I can eat that sandwich again.
Since we’re a long way off to next summer, I decided to warm my house and stomach with a sheet-pan version of that sandwich I had last summer. It uses chicken sausage instead of pork sausage to make it a little healthier. And smaller ciabatta buns instead of big hoagie rolls to reduce the carb intake.
This easy one-pan weeknight dinner is a total crowd pleaser and ready in about 30 minutes.
Sheet-Pan Sausage & Peppers
- 6 chicken sausage links (any flavor)
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hoagie rolls, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the onions on the prepared baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and some salt and pepper. Spread the onions in an even layer and roast for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and push the onions over to one side.
- Toss the bell peppers in a medium bowl with the remaining tablespoon olive oil and some salt and pepper. Place the seasoned peppers in the center of the baking sheet. Place the sausages in the empty area next to the peppers, spacing them evenly apart. Roast until the onions are translucent and tender, the peppers are soft and charred in spots, and the sausage is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Rotate sausages and veggies half way through for even cooking.
- Cut the sausages into bite-size pieces and divide evenly between four hoagie rolls. Top with the peppers and onions. Enjoy!
I love this recipe! It’s just the way I like to prepare quick easy healthy meals! Thank you,