What is scampi? Most people think it’s the combination of shrimp with pasta. But, scampi actually refers to the garlic butter sauce the shrimp is sautéed in. It can be served with bread crumbs on top, pasta, rice or bread on the side. This version deconstructs the typical scampi and cooks each piece separately, but on one pan. It cooks up super quickly and doesn’t waste anytime with prepping separately from cooking – they happen in parallel! You can even opt to omit the bread and double the veg for a carb-free version.
Sheet-Pan Shrimp Scampi
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges, for serving
- 1/2 loaf French bread, split horizontally, then halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the squash and zucchini on a baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter, red pepper flakes, garlic, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple of grinds of pepper in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the butter is melted, about 1 minute. Drizzle the bread evenly with 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture and sprinkle with the cheese; set aside. Toss the shrimp with the remaining butter mixture.
- After the squash and zucchini have roasted for 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet and flip the vegetables, moving them to the center third of the baking sheet. Put the bread on one outer third of the baking sheet and the shrimp on the other. Slide the vegetables closer to the bread so that the shrimp is in a single, even layer. (This is to ensure even cooking.) Return to the oven and cook until the shrimp are cooked through and the bread is golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!