I like to try and come up with new ways of presenting our ‘normal’ food in a new way for my 2-year old. Any time food is fun, she’ll eat it! This is one of those recipes that makes veggies fun because they’re hidden inside a little roll. And the glaze on top makes the steak extra sweet. Who wouldn’t like that?!
Add any veggies you have on hand to this but be careful of the meat you pick. A flank steak would work here, but cook it lower and slower so it doesn’t get tough. That’s the risk you run with other cuts of meat too. Play around with this though because, well, food CAN be fun!
Balsamic Glazed Steak Rollups
- 8 thinly sliced sirloin steaks
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 zucchini, julienned
- 2 cloves of garlic, left whole
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- To prepare the steak: trim any fat and cut into 3 inch wide strips. Season generously on both sides with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. Let them marinate for 30-minutes – two hours.
- While the steak is marinating, prep the filling: julienne the carrot, bell pepper and zucchini into matchstick size pieces. Peel the garlic and smash it until bruised. Set aside.
- To prepare the glaze, melt the butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Add the finely chopped shallot and sautee it for a minute until they turn soft and transluscent. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and beef stock and stir to mix everything well. Allow the sauce to come to a boil and reduce to almost half its volume. You’ll notice it starts becoming thicker and have the consistency of syrup. The butter also starts separating and comes to the top. Turn the heat off and transfer the sauce to a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add a touch of olive oil and toss in the whole garlic cloves to allow them to flavor the oil for a few minutes. Turn the heat up to high and toss in the carrots, bell pepper and zucchini and stir fry the veggies for 2-3 minutes. Season them with the the itlalian herb seasoning and transfer the veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- To assemble the steak rolls: take a strip of the marinated steak and lay it with the short side towards you. Place the veggies in the middle and roll the beef up over the filling, securing it with toothpicks. Repeat the same with the other rolls.
- Heat a touch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add beef rolls, seam side down, not touching and pan fry for a couple minutes. Then turn roll and cook it on all sides in the same way. Cook until you’re desired done-ness.
- To serve, remove the toothpicks and drizzle balsamic glaze sauce over the top of each roll. Enjoy!
Adapted from: Picturetherecipe.com