My daughter calls these ‘round French fries’ – I’ll call it anything to get her to eat veggies these days! They satisfy that need for some ‘bad-for-you food’ that tastes oh so good.
Potato Carrot Latkes
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Using a food processor fitted with a coarse grating disk, grate the potato and onion; discard any large pieces. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze out any excess liquid, then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the flour, egg, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, drop 2-tbsp. scoops of batter into the pan about 2 inches apart. Using a spatula, flatten the batter into disks. Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with apple sauce and enjoy!
Adapted from: rachelray.com