Soup in the summer seems crazy, but this one is refreshing and tasty. It’s chock full of veggies and is friendly to your waistline and your wallet.
Cream of Celery Soup with Bacon
- 4 strips turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups chopped celery, stalks and tops
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cubed small
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon in a skillet over low heat for about 15 or 20 minutes, until crisp. Remove and set aside on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a stock pot, increase the heat slightly, and add celery, onion and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the potato, stock, and milk to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the milk from forming a film, until potato is very soft.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender, food processor or blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve either hot or at room temperature with cooked bacon crumbled on top. Enjoy!
Adapted from: thekitchn.com