For about 15 years, I was a vegetarian. I ate some beans here and there, ate a little bit of tofu, but generally, I ate a lot of carbs, veggies and fruit. I didn’t really get how to be a healthy vegetarian. When I started eating meat again, I felt an energy surge through me. I liked the energy levels I had, but I still didn’t like eating meat.
So now I’ve found a happy medium that works for me. No red meat, chicken 1x/week, fish 2x/week and vegetarian the rest of the time. I usually have a mix of either beans, tofu or cheese (I LOVE halloumi and will hopefully share some yummy recipes with it here soon) as a protein. I found my balance – healthy eating, strong body.
This is one of my favorite go-to weeknight vegetarian dishes. I used to make it with chicken, but the tofu is a nice change up. I’ve even made it with chunks of cauliflower and it’s delicious, too. If you prep everything before starting to cook, it’s much easier and you’ll have dinner on the table quickly!
I like mine best with some brown rice, but any side will do! Just be warned that the sauce is delicious. 🙂 Let me know what you would serve it with in the comments below!
Tofu & Veggie Stir Fry in Peanut Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound firm tofu, cubed
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons molasses
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Saute broccoli, red bell pepper, onion and tofu for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine peanut butter, hot water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, molasses. Pour over vegetables and tofu. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice, cauliflower rice or any other side, if desired. Enjoy!