Red & Green – the colors of Christmas.
This is such a fun time of year to make festive food. And a double bonus, it really can be healthy! Just by using some beets and their greens, you have an easy lunch of side dish and it’s jam packed with flavor.
When you’re roasting the beets, make sure you test them to be sure they’re fully cooked and then you can peel the skin right off! You can cook them ahead of time, too. Then, just chop everything up and you’ll have this ready in just minutes!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! Happy cooking!
Christmas Beet Salad
- 2 pounds small or medium beets, scrubbed
- 2 cups beet greens, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise into ribbons
- 1/2 cup minced beet green stems
- 6-80z goat cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the beets in foil and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 1 hour, until tender when pierced. Unwrap and let cool. Once cooled, cut the beets into chunks.
- Add greens and stems to a large salad bowl. Add beets, cheese and walnuts on top. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar. Drizzle dressing over the salad and serve immediately. Enjoy!