Hi, friends! I’m still in brown banana land trying to use up all these bananas I’ve had either sitting frozen in my freezer or browning on my counter. It’s almost Thanksgiving so I want to make as much room in our freezer (and house for that matter) as I can.
I’ve been making banana muffins, cakes, other sweet dishes, savory banana dishes and just straight up mixing them into my morning smoothie or oatmeal. I am swimming in bananas!
While I like to make traditional banana dishes, I also like to channel my inner creative child and bake things with a twist – like mixing pumpkin with bananas or in this case, coconut and Nutella into a traditional banana bread cake. The coconut adds a smooth texture and creamy flavor while the Nutella tops this cake bringing out some extra special flavors. It’s so full of banana flavor and so so good with a hot cup of tea.
I’m definitely going to make this one again for Thanksgiving morning. Just make it ahead of time, freeze and defrost when ready. It’ll be ready to feed a crowd in no time!
Let me know if you have any questions about it in the comments below! Happy baking!
Coconut Banana Nutella Cake
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 can (165ml) coconut milk
- 1/3 cup golden syrup, maple syrup or honey (or a mix of any of these!)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, self-raising flour, cinnamon and baking soda until just combined. Add sugar. Stir to combine. Make a well. Add banana, coconut milk, syrup, oil and egg. Mix to combine.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Top with spoonfuls of Nutella. Using a butter knife, drag Nutella through the top of the batter to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour, 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of loaf comes out clean. Let it stand in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
I’, fopr anything with Nutella! Looks lovely!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Everything tastes better with just a little bit of Nutella!
LikeLiked by 1 person