2020 was the year of making sourdough at home – with Covid quarantines everywhere, so many people were looking to fill their time and fulfill their baking dreams with new foods, like bread baking. Making sourdough was a great way to fill the time and since everyone had nothing but time at home, it was perfect.
Well, I am about a year+ too late to the party but I’m here now and boy am I loving it! I didn’t actually know you could use sourdough discard (the part of the starter you remove and don’t use each time you feed your starter) in things other than bread!! You can make any bread-like product with it – pancakes, muffins (like these below!!), cakes, etc…. The list is pretty endless!
I decided to use today’s weekly discard to make muffins. I wanted a new mini muffin for the girls this week and didn’t want it to be too fussy. While I make a TON of muffins, I didn’t have any mini muffins on hand for tomorrow’s lunchbox. These were a great thing to make for both the lunch and to use up the discard! Win-win!
So, the next time you’re feeding that well loved starter, don’t toss the discard! Make these mini muffins with them! Tell me, what else do you use your sourdough starter for? I’d love to know in the comments below!
Cinnamon Sourdough Mini Muffins (using sourdough discard!!)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix well with a spoon.
- Pour in sourdough starter and mix with spoon.
- Spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin (or a 12 regular cup muffin tin) with cooking spray. Fill cups 1/2 full. Bake 8-11 minutes (or 17-20 minutes for regular muffins).
- Remove from oven and pan and let cool slightly before enjoying!