Last night, I was feeling a bit Southern-food-inspired but wanted to make it with a healthier twist. So I decided to make some good old fashioned Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread and this fried chicken. Traditional fried chicken is heavily coated and deep-fried. I can’t seem to handle deep-fried foods anymore, so I opted to use a crispy type of bread crumb – panko (look for it in the International food section – likely near Japanese foods – of most supermarkets) – and bake it in the oven instead of frying it.
Yes, I know, I could have used the air fryer but I was making a bunch and they didn’t all fit in there. So the oven it was!
Now, it sounds like there are a lot of spices for this fried chicken but using all of them really helps bring out the nostalgic fried chicken flavors you’ll want from this. Many of these are common staples, if you cook here and there, and available in most shops/online.
The biggest key to this recipe is the buttermilk – a real creamy buttermilk. I’ve tried making my own using lemon or vinegar in whole milk and it just isn’t the same as store bought. In this case, I used the stores help, bought the buttermilk and marinated the chicken for hours and hours. It really helps to break the chicken down and make it super tender.
Once the marinating part is out of the way, cooking is a breeze! Just dredge, bake, eat! I highly suggest making this with my cornbread – you’re honestly going to love it!
Tell me, what’s your favorite kind of Southern food? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll make it next!
Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
For the Marinade:
- 6-8 chicken thighs or chicken cutlets, skin removed and boneless
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Chicken Coating:
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- For the marinade: in a medium bowl, season the chicken with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and poultry seasoning. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a rack on a baking sheet and lightly spray with oil.
- For the chicken coating: in a shallow bowl, combine the Panko, Parmesan, salt, galic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika and parsley. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the crumb mixture. Put the chicken pieces onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!
This would be an absolute winner recipe for most of my family!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Amazing! And it’s so easy! Enjoy making it!
LikeLiked by 1 person