Chicken parm! A delicious Italian staple. It’s so good but it’s not always the healthiest – it’s usually dredged in a lot of egg and breadcrumbs/cheese, then fried, topped with a ton more cheese before it’s eaten with a big bowl of pasta. Now, there isn’t anything wrong with this dish! It’s delicious! But to eat it like this all the time isn’t always the healthiest option.
So here’s a way to still enjoy chicken parm, but in a lighter way. It doesn’t skimp on the flavor and you’ll love it just as much! I served mine with some pasta and some summer squash so we all got to choose how we wanted to enjoy it. I think a good roasted or bbq’d squash is do delicious with this meal!
What’s your favorite thing to eat with chicken parmesan? Let me know in the comments below!
Lightened-up Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken breasts, about 8 oz each, sliced in half lengthwise to make 8
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet lightly with spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl. Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken. Lightly spray a little more oil on top and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spoon 1 tablespoon sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with 1 1/2 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!