It’s my baby’s 3 BIRTHDAY!!!!! Matilda turns 3 today and everyone knows it! She has strong opinions about everything, including her special day. I simply love how she knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to share. She definitely seems to be taking after me in that department…. 🙂
Well, when we told her her birthday was coming it, she wavered between themes – it was Dora for a while but ultimately Frozen won out. She wanted cupcakes, no cake. Everything had to be magical and mostly about Elsa, obviously. 🙂
With the amount of stuff I made, you’d think we had a full blown birthday party. But no. She had 1 friend over. We kept it quieter again this year because of Covid. Next year – BIG PARTY!!!
To some people, this would have been a lot. But I really embraced it and went with what she wanted. I can honestly say she absolutely loved here!!
So, on to the details – here is what we made to make it a Frozen birthday party (ps – some things are super easy, so lean into those. Make your life easier!!):
- Frozen-themed Funfetti Cupcakes = see more below for the details on these
- Elsa wands = white chocolate dipped pretzel rods (see more below for the details on these)
- Rice Krispy Treat Snowballs = magic balls (see more below for the details on these)
- Olaf/Snowman Noses = A bowl of carrots
- Snowballs = cheese puffs or Pirate’s Booty
- Do you want to build a snowman? = a plate of large marshmallows, small pretzel sticks and mini chocolate chips that they could build snowmen out of
Whew! It was a lot. Some other ideas we had but ended up not doing were:
- Melting Olaf = a cup of yogurt with some chocolate chips and pretzel sticks sticking out of the top
- Sven’s Antlers = pretzel sticks on a plate
- Snowflake cookies
- Olaf cheese sticks = just draw Olaf faces on some cheese sticks!
- Ice = light blue jello cut into squares
- A blue and white make your own candy bag bar (for goodie bags)
Ok, you get the idea, right? It was so much fun and seeing the look on her face on her birthday was pure magic!
I’ve put all the recipes below, but let me know if you have any questions about it! I love party planning!!
Funfetti Cupcakes with Elsa Vanilla Frosting
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, spoon & leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk, any kind
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles (not nonpareils)
- Frozen sprinkles, for decorating on top (like these)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 drops of each – blue & red – food coloring, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- To make the cupcakes: in a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in sugar – mixture will be gritty. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 minute. Stir in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain (batter will be thick). Slowly stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color. Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for up to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make the frosting: cream room temperature butter with a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract. Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Add food coloring, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.
- To assemble, pipe frosting over fully cooled cupcakes in desired pattern. Sprinkle with Frozen sprinkles and enjoy! I put the cupcakes on a blue led cupcake stand to make it even more fun!
Elsa Wands (White Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods)
- 16 pretezel rods
- 1 cup white chocolate candy melts, like these
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Blue & white sprinkles
- Begin by lining a baking sheet with wax paper, silpat or aluminum foil.
- Microwave 1 cup of candy melts with vegetable oil in a tall cup for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir. Keep microwaving for 1-15 seconds until the candy melts are mixable.
- Slowly dip and rotate 2-3 inches of the pretzels into the white chocolate mixture until covered. Scrape excess off along the rim of the glass. Gently sprinkle with sprinkles and lay flat on lined baking sheet. Repeat for remaining pretzel rods.
- Chill pretzel rods in fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Rice Krispy Treat Snowballs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Frozen sprinkles (like these)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat, then add rice cereal and stir until well coated.
- Gently mix in Frozen sprinkles.
- Spray a square or rectangle dish with non-stick cooking spray. Dump the mixture into the prepared dish and press down. Sprinkle with more sprinkles and let sit 10 minutes until mixture has set. Cut into 12-16 inch squares or roll into balls. Serve and Enjoy!