Every now and again, I go in waves with red meat. I either really enjoy it or really despise it. I’m currently in the later camp, so I’m focusing more on fish, chicken and vegetarian dishes. You’d think that would really limit my food options, but it just makes me get more creative with what my current protein choice.
Tonight’s dinner is all about fish. Highlighting how good it is, how healthy it is and how you can get creative with it. To be honest, ‘cakes’ with any kind of protein are good, but they’re especially good with fish (or crab!). They just need a few good ingredients to pop, and they whip up in no time. These are the perfect weeknight dish and can be dressed up or down for any occasion!
What’s your favorite weeknight dish? Let me know in the comments below!
5-Ingredient Fish Cakes
- 1 pound white fish, any kind
- 3/4 cup panko
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and black pepper
- Cooking oil or spray
- In a large pan, cook white fish until flaky (cook time will depend on type of fish – I used tilapia and it took 8 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir the ingredients together with a fork, breaking apart the fish, until evenly combined.
- Portion mixture into patties, about 2 tablespoons each.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with cooking oil or spray and heat to medium-high. Fry fish cakes in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite dipping sauce and extra lemon slices. Enjoy!