It’s July, but the girls wanted to celebrate Chanukah tonight. We happened to have some potatoes that needed to be used so I happily obliged.
The only problem was, I didn’t have any eggs. No eggs? No problem! That’s where vegan recipes are great! Even though we aren’t vegan, I do like to some vegan recipes and this is one of them. It’s a simplified version of latkes with all natural ingredients.
The girls gobbled them up with a side of apple sauce and sour cream. What’s your favorite way to eat them? Let mw know in the comments below!
(Vegan) Potato Latkes
- 2 cups packed, grated, and drained Russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Optional for serving: apple sauce, sour cream, fresh herbs
- Grate potatoes and squeeze out as much moisture as you can using paper towel. In a large bowl, mix together grated potatoes, flour, milk, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and black pepper.
- In a frying pan, preheat a generous amount of oil over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of potato mixture into the pan. Use a spatula or pancake flipper to flatten the patty to about 1/4″ thick. Fry until golden brown, flip, and fry the other side. Drain excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Slightly adapted from: ilovevegan.com