I’m on a roll with easy to make but decadent tasting dinners this week. After last night’s Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Salmon dinner, I thought I would go ‘lighter’ with tonight’s dinner. But, I did quite the opposite! I made another deliciously rich dinner and you know what? I don’t regret it for a second because this dinner was fantastic.
It’s flavor is meaty but in a lighter kind of way. The addition of the mushrooms adds to the meaty flavor too, but in a healthier way. It’s super creamy, from the cream cheese/yogurt yogurt combination. And when everything comes together, it’s the perfect harmony of flavors.
All this praise aside, I will admit, I was a bit hesitant about giving this to the girls because I thought it would be too rich with too many mixed flavors. But, I got 4 thumbs up, 2 high fives and lots of ‘this dinner is amazing’. That, my friends, is a winner of a dinner!
Easy Ground Turkey Stroganoff
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk, any kind
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup full-fat greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Noodles or rice, for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break up the meat into small pieces, until it’s almost cooked through but still slightly pink, about 5 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft and browned and the meat is cooked through, another 5 minutes or so.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, combine the beef broth and milk. Whisk in the flour until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps of flour remaining. Stir the beef broth/milk mixture into the turkey mixture and cook over medium or medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Let the mixture bubble and simmer until slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve over cooked pasta or rice. Enjoy!
Adapted from: melskitchencafe.com