Sometimes, I want cereal for dinner. And sometimes I want cereal in my dinner. Tonight was the later. I bought a ton of these massive drumsticks before Corona hit thinking we’d use them to bbq for a party, but we’re not having any of those these days (cough – stay 6 feet away, please!!).
So, I wanted to make something fun with them for dinner tonight instead. Enter – one of my moms dinners she made for us as a kid. CORN FLAKE CHICKEN! It’s so so good and makes you think you’re eating fried chicken when really, it’s baked and not as bad for you! Did I mention it’s also DELICIOUS?! Well, it is!
The girls got a kick out of rolling the chicken in cereal tonight too. It was a great homeschooling lesson in creativity… that’s what this homeschool thing is all about right? Teaching and family time?! Done and done!
Let me know what you think of these in the comments below!
Baked Corn Flake Chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 4 cups cornflakes
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil. In a shallow bowl, combine the buttermilk, salt & pepper.
- Finely crush the cornflakes and transfer to a second bowl. Toss with the oil.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, letting any excess drip off. Then coat in the cornflakes, pressing gently to help them adhere. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Enjoy with these corn bread muffins for an extra special dinner!