Sometimes, Taco Tuesday calls for taco in soup form. 🙂 And today is that kind of day.
I wanted a southwestern type meal, but wasn’t feeling traditional tacos. So, instead, I sliced the taco shells, baked them into crispy strips and made the inside of what would have been a taco into a soup. It’s pretty genius, if I do say so myself. haha 🙂
Truth be told, I love this soup. It’s really hearty, so versatile (you can throw in any leftover veggies from your fridge or canned in the cubbard into it and it will always taste good. What do you think? Is it what you’re craving tonight? Let me know!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 15-oz can corn
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 chicken breasts, frozen or fresh
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado and taco
- Heat oil in Instant Pot on saute mode. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add 2 cups of broth, 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 1 cup salsa and salt and stir to combine. Add in chicken.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and select Manual or Pressure Cook for 10 minutes. Once the cook time is over, quick release and shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Top with your favorite toppings (cheese, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips…). Enjoy!