We went apple picking this weekend at a farm about an hour west of here, called Alstede Farms. We go every year and love it – they have hay rides, animals, pumpkin (and other veggie) pick-your-own and of course and abundance of apples. We love Honeycrisp and Gala, so that’s what we picked for our apple haul.
With over 10lbs. of apples now in my kitchen from our weekend adventures, we’re going to be eating lots of apple flavored foods this week. First up is this easy IP apple cider chicken.
This chicken is super moist because it’s cooked in apple cider-bbq sauce-honey deliciousness. It’s absolutely divine and screams Autumn every year when I make it.
It takes 45 minutes to make, but the instant pot does most of the work. Let me know what you think of this recipe below!
Instant Pot Apple Cider Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless (about 1-1.5lbs.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce (if paleo, use paleo compliant bbq sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped (I used Honeycrisp)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown chicken; remove and keep warm.
- Add cider, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in onion, barbecue sauce, honey, garlic and chicken. Press cancel. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Press cancel. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 170°.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Add apples; simmer, stirring constantly, until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with chicken. Enjoy!