Happy Taco Tuesday!
When I was shopping over the weekend, I found these mini ‘street’ taco flour shells (they make them in corn shells too!) and I knew I had to make a fun taco with them. I haven’t grilled in a few days, so I went to the butcher and asked him for a fresh cut of meat to make with tacos and he gave me a pound of flank steak. I knew this would be perfect for these street tacos.
So, away I went with my taco shells and flank steak. I remembered I had some leftover green and red onions in the fridge/cabinet and lettuce in the garden. But what could I use to pull it all together….? HUMMUS!
Well, I already left the store and I knew there was no way I was getting both kids to go back with me. So, I decided to make some and man oh MAN am I glad I did. It’s beyond fresh and tasty and I am never buying hummus every again because it’s so easy to make (ps – here’s how I make my hummus).
Ok, back to the tacos. With a smear of hummus and a quick cook of the steak, dinner was ready in just 20 minutes. This is a perfect weeknight dinner in my book! PS – make the hummus too, seriously!!! It’s so good!
Steak & Hummus Tacos
- 1/2 pound flank steak (I bought a pound and cooked/saved the other half for other meals for the week)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 9 mini (street) flour tacos
- 1/2 cup homemade hummus
- 1/2 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to medium-high heat, about 375 degrees. Once grill is preheated, season steak and place on grill. Grill each side 4-5 minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove from grill and let it rest at least 10 minutes before cutting into it. Once cooled, slice against the grain into 1-inch chunks and set aside.
- To prepare the tacos: spread 1-2 tablespoons on half of each taco shell. Add 4-6 steak bites on top of the hummus. Add lettuce, red onion and spring onion to each taco and seal the other side of the taco with a smear of hummus.
- Serve with extra hummus and enjoy!