Summer should be all about fun and not always being stuck cooking in the kitchen or at the bbq (unless you want to!). So, today, I took my own advice and just let loose. We had the BEST day playing in the splash pads, playing in the sensory bins at the park, seeing lots of friends, and not slaving away in the kitchen.
Well, we did have to eat, so I went to the supermarket at 5pm, bought a rotisserie chicken (score!) and whipped this up in 15 minutes flat. Trevor and I LOVED IT! Amelia ate the chicken, beans, edamame and cucumbers and Matilda ate everything! I sautéed the greens for 1 minute in some whole milk and she gobbled them right up!
This might be my new favorite salad of summer!
Green Summer Salad with Parsley Pesto
- 2 cups fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from 1 chicken)
- 2 cups cooked edamame, shells removed
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup English cucumber, sliced
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula
- Combine parsley, spinach, lemon juice, walnuts, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper in bowl of a food processor; process until smooth, about 1 minute. With processor running, add oil; process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir together chicken, edamame, chickpeas, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add pesto; toss to combine.
- Place 2/3 cup arugula in each of 6 bowls; top each with 1 cup chicken salad mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!