I’ve been in a breakfast rut recently because all I’ve been wanting are cakes for breakfast (which I obviously can’t eat everyday!). So, I wanted to change it up today. I decided to make a veggie packed frittata. I used zucchini and tomatoes from the garden, but you can easily use any veggies you have on hand.
Because this frittata doesn’t have a crust like a quiche would, it really needs some kind of texture. I like adding walnuts for this reason. It adds a perfect crunch. And the tiny mozzarella balls melt into the walnuts making everything super creamy.
I made this for breakfast, but I’m going to eat this with a salad and some crusty bread for dinner too!
Zucchini & Tomato Frittata
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ounces bite-size fresh mozzarella balls, halved
- 1/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch oven-going skillet over medium-high heat. Layer zucchini slices on bottom of skillet in an even layer. Cook for 3 minutes, turning once.
- Top with cherry tomatoes. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet. Top with mozzarella balls and walnuts. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until sides begin to set, lifting with a spatula to allow the uncooked portion to run underneath.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes more or until set. Cut into wedges to serve. Enjoy!