I’ve been cooking with zucchini a lot this week because we have so much of it in the summer. Last night, I made this casserole for dinner along with my Gluten Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins for dessert. With zucchini being such a versatile vegetable, it’s easy to mix it into both sweet and savory dishes. I love being able to use one vegetable in completely different ways!
Matilda absolutely loved this dinner. After being a superstar at eating anything and everything for 10 months, she is just starting to show preference for foods. It will be interesting to see what she starts to show she likes and dislikes.
Amelia on the other hand has always hated sauce. I was the same way as a kid, so I can’t fault her. But I can try to encourage her to try new (and old) things. She’s not a strong lover of cheese either – a weird one, I know. But she did try to eat this dinner, which is always a good thing.
Trevor and I love taking Italian flavors and lightening them up for summer, so this was absolutely perfect for both of us.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments!
Zucchini & Sausage Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sausage, any kind, chopped into chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14oz jar tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Basil and parsley leaves, torn to serve
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add zucchini; cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Toss with tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheeses. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with torn basil and parsley and enjoy!