I don’t have the world’s biggest garden, but we do have a backyard in the city (amazing!) and I can grow some herbs and veggies in it (double amazing!).
Because I start planting very early in the Spring, most of our herbs and veggies are in full bloom this early in June, especially zucchini. We get so much of it throughout the summer that I tend to stick it in just about anything.
Today, I’m putting it in our muffins and also dinner (Zucchini & Sausage Casserole). I love these muffins as a snack on-the-go because they use an entire zucchini up, they’re protein packed, they don’t use any unrefined sugars and have cocoa powder as the main source of chocolate (I know, I know, there are chocolate chips in here too, but the chocolatey flavor really comes from the cocoa).
Quick tip – if you mince the zucchini, you won’t even see the green specs. Neither will your kids. 🙂
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (use the best quality you can find – you’ll notice the difference!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (about 1 medium zucchini) finely shredded zucchini, then squeezed in paper towel to release extra moisture
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add in coconut oil and maple syrup, and stir till well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Fold in zucchini, and then half of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop in muffin tin until 3/4 full, topping with remaining half of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Enjoy!