I really struggle with cooking dinner on Thursday’s because I desperately want it to be the weekend and I’m so tired come this part of the week. So I usually try to plan something quick, easy and healthy for Thursday’s.
I love a good warm salad, so this fit the bill for being tasty and fast. I usually have all the ingredients on hand for this salad, and if I need to change a few things here or there, it’s flexible enough to do so.
Call me crazy, sometimes I even add in fruit to it. But tonight, I kept it simple with chicken, peppers, onions, avocado and a delicious dressing.
This would be perfect for brunch, a side or as a main dinner like I had it as tonight.
Chicken Fajita Salad
- 2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb. total)
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bell peppers, any colors sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2″ thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 packed cups cilantro, trimmed, including thin stems
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 jalapeño, diced lengthwise, de-seeded, ribs removed (optional for serving)
- Heat frying pan (or grill) to medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side; transfer to a cutting board and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, toss the peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Once the chicken is cooked and set aside, cook the vegetables in the same pan until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken, separate the onions into rings, dice the avocado and set aside.
- Finely grate the zest of 1 lime into a blender. Squeeze in 6 tablespoon lime juice. Add the honey, cilantro, and remaining 2 tablespoon oil and purée until smooth.
- Toss the greens with 1/4 cup of the dressing and top with the sliced peppers, onions, avocado, chicken and jalapeño. Serve with the remaining dressing. Enjoy immediately!