I’ve had a few decadent meals in the past week, so I wanted to lighten dinner up a bit tonight with a (gluten-free) healthy dinner. It’s very filling and satisfying, but not in a way that will weigh you down.
Even though salads can be tricky for kids, I tend to deconstruct it and give the girls what I know they’ll like – the steak, the watermelon and for Amelia, the peanuts (for Matilda, the tomatoes). It’s my trick for making sure we all eat the same dinner and I’m not making separate meals for anyone.
Watermelon Steak Salad
- 1 lb. sirloin or strip steak
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small seedless watermelon (about 3 lb.)
- 1 cup fresh mint, leaves torn
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Chopped, roasted unsalted peanuts, for serving
- Heat grill to medium-high. Season the steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and grill to desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, honey, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Fold in the shallots and tomatoes.
- Cut the watermelon into 1/2-inch-thick triangles and cut off the rinds. Brush lightly with oil, then grill until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to serving plates.
- Fold the herbs into the tomato mixture, then spoon on top of the watermelon. Slice the steak, divide among the plates and sprinkle with peanuts, if desired. Enjoy!