Tieghan Gerard, aka Half Baked Harvest, has some of the best and most creative recipes around. She also won’t publish a recipe unless it’s foolproof and this one is no exception. While I did make a few changes to her original recipe to fit our families likes, this is primarily her recipe and I absolutely love it.
These quesadillas are made with hearty cauliflower in place of meat and I have to be honest, I didn’t miss the meat one bit. The cauliflower has just the right amount of meat and bite that you want from a quesadilla. And the adobo and chili seasoning adds a nice bit of heat, but not too much.
These would be great as a taco, in a rice bowl or on top of a salad as well! Thanks for the recipe, Tieghan!
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, plus additional pineapple chunks for serving
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- Pre-made guacamole, for serving
- In a blender combine the garlic, chili seasoning, chipotle chilies, vinegar and 1 cup of the pineapple chunks. Blend until completely smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the cauliflower, onions, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and the onions have caramelized.
- Reduce the heat to low stir in the pineapple sauce, and the remaining cup of pineapple chunks Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and coats the cauliflower, there will still be sauce left in the pan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Lay the tortillas flat on a clean counter. On top of 2 tortillas, evenly layer the cheeses and cauliflower, then lay the remaining 2 tortillas on top.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, place the quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with guacamole and remaining pineapple. Enjoy!