Muffins have been saving me recently because they are one food that everyone in the family will eat – a 10 month old, a 3 year old and 2 very tired parents. They are super healthy being sweetened only with fruit and have a healthy serving of carrots in each muffin making them the perfect snack for kids and parents with only 1-hand to spare. These are the perfect size for Amelia’s lunchbox too and Matilda can eat 3 of them in one sitting.
I hope you love these healthy muffins – let me know what you think!
Whole Wheat (No Sugar) Carrot Muffins
- 3 dates, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 medium grated carrots
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line/grease a mini muffin tin tray.
- In a small food processor or blender, blitz the dates and vanilla extract to form a paste (if the dates are a little dry and do not break down add a small amount of water).
- In a large bowl, mash the banana and whisk in the date and vanilla paste with the egg, milk and oil.
- Once combined, whisk in the pumpkin pie spice, carrots and walnuts.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix carefully until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tray and bake for around 13-16 minutes or until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Repeat with remaining batter. Enjoy once cooled!